The Behavioural Insights Team (BIT) is looking for an exceptional candidate to join as a Project Co-ordinator to work in two of our policy teams (Home Affairs & International Development, and Energy, Productivity, Industry & Consumers) based in our London office.
The Behavioural Insights Team
The then Prime Minister created BIT in 2010 to apply behavioural science to public policy in the UK. In February 2014 we became a social purpose company, owned by the Cabinet Office, Nesta (an innovation charity) and our employees.
The Behavioural Insights Team works with governments around the world in almost every area of policy. Whilst the subject and output of our projects varies considerably, there are common threads: we try to understand the contexts in which people make decisions; we notice small details; we find out what has and hasn’t worked before; we come up with innovative ideas for solving policy problems and we measure everything we do as robustly as we can.
As well as displaying professional excellence, BIT selects staff on the basis of our company values: always prioritising social impact; empiricism and humility; fresh thinking, collaboration; and public service.
Role and Responsibilities
As a Project Coordinator you will be engaged in a number of tasks to support the successful delivery of a wide portfolio of projects. You will need to be flexible in your approach and be able to juggle competing priorities. This role offers someone an excellent opportunity to develop their organisational and project management skills.
- Working with project leads to ensure resource plans are set up in the planning software (10kft) and maintained;
- Updating 10kft with data on tasks including annual leave and time for proposal writing;
- Using 10kft data to identify members of the team who can work on potential pipeline projects; and
- Highlighting where members of the team are either over or under-resourced and working with project leads to identify solutions.
- Working with the Directors and other team leads to maintain accurate records of all potential projects in the pipeline on the company’s central pipeline tracker list;
- Monitoring opportunities for business development (e.g. new project tenders); and
- Supporting the team to develop bids and proposals for new work.
- Overseeing the process of getting a signed contract in place for all new projects – chasing up signed contracts, ensuring all parties have all the information they need, and updating the Business Manager and General Counsel on progress;
- Working with the Business Manager to ensure all new projects are set up correctly on the Company’s finance and resource planning systems;
- Keeping track of project milestones and alerting the finance team when milestones have been met and invoices can be sent, and/or when scheduled invoice dates need to change;
- Ensuring the Company’s QA procedures are followed for all projects;
- Keeping track of the project budget – staff time (using 10kft) and expenses (with reports from the finance system), working with project leads to ensure projects are delivered within budget and highlighting as soon as possible when projects appear to be deviating from budget; and
- Ensuring the company’s project close-out procedures are followed.
- Providing ad-hoc administrative support such as updating timesheets and project scheduling;
- Supporting preparation for client meetings and presentations (e.g. researching information, formatting data etc);
- Ensuring file structures are organised; and
- Dealing with expenses (as required).
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills – you must be able to communicate appropriately with staff at all levels;
- An understanding and/or experience of project management;
- Strong IT skills – in particular Microsoft Excel and/or Google Sheets;
- A can do attitude and a willingness to be flexible;
- Self-motivated and proactive;
- Good organisational skills; and
- Attention to detail.
- If you do not already hold the right to work in the UK and/or require sponsorship in order to continue working here, you should think carefully before applying. This is because we will be unable to sponsor you unless there is no other suitably qualified settled worker available to fill the role or your current immigration status means that the resident labour market test will not apply in your case.
- The Behavioural Insights Team is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and is determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, age, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, marital status, or race, or is disadvantaged by conditions or requirements which cannot be shown to be justifiable